Thomas Albano is the founder, as well as an editor and writer, for Cheap Seats Sports. While he dabs in just about all the sections, Tom’s interests are mainly baseball, wrestling/MMA/boxing, and hockey. During fantasy football season, Tom writes a weekly Start ‘Em, Sit ‘Em column for the site.
The name of the site stems from an old sports talk radio show of his, A View from the Cheap Seats, as well as a blog he used to run in 2015.
Tom is a journalism graduate student at Hofstra University in Hempstead, New York. He is also a contributor to fightsports.tv. In addition, Tom hosts The Unspoken Podcast and Combat Mania podcast.
Tom received his bachelor’s degree from Rider University, located in Lawrenceville, New Jersey, in 2016. There, Tom was a Journalism major with minors in Business of Sports and Radio/TV. He served as a sports editor for the student newspaper, The Rider News, for about a year and a half before taking on the in-depth editor position his senior year.
Tom was also a part of the school’s radio station, 107.7 The Bronc (WRRC). In addition to his sports talk show, Tom hosted an evening drive show, as well as shows dedicated to rock and Top 40 music. Tom also board-operated Rider and local sporting events and color commentated for the 2016 Rider Broncs baseball team.
– (2x) SPJ Region 1 Mark of Excellence Award Finalist in Sports Writing (2015 & 2016)
– 2nd place in Biography/Personality Profile at 2015 New Jersey Collegiate Press Association Awards
– 3rd place in Sports Writing at 2015 New Jersey Collegiate Press Association Awards
– Lambda Pi Eta: Gamma Theta chapter (served as secretary in Fall 2015 & vice president in Spring 2016)
– Omicron Delta Kappa
– Shodan (first-degree black belt) in Okinawan Goju Ryu Karatedo